Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Cameras and Cursing

As I watch the fallout from Mel Gibson's drunken tirade from last week, I really thank God there were no video cameras present those few times in my life when I was stupidly inebriated. No, really. That could have been embarrassing. It's hard enough to know that my friends saw me like that. I can't imagine what it would be like if the world knew I just how stupid I was.

I can't pretend to know what it's like to be an alcoholic. My understanding from those alcoholics I know and love is that the addiction typically makes people behave out of character from their sober selves. This is a big reason why one of the twelve steps of Alcoholics Anonymous and other addiction programs is to make amends with those the abuser has harmed. Alcoholism makes people do stupid things and even attempt harm themselves and those around them.

So Gibson makes an apology, through a publicist, the day the story broke. Unlike most apologies, Gibson took full responsibility for his behavior, and went on to say--and I thought this was true (and remarkable because it was admitted)--that he not only shamed himself, but his family with his behavior. He went on to say that he said some horrible things to the police who arrested him, that they did their jobs very well and probably saved him from hurting himself or others. If he was that drunk, I don't even think he would remember what he said and had to rely on second-hand accounts through the media. Or maybe the police, with whom he otherwise had a good relationship, told him.

When I read the apology, I was amazed at how contrite it sounded. Most people busted for drunken driving or other addiction related problems don't sound this way. Usually, they try to turn it around to make themselves out to be the victims. However sorry he was, though, to the ADL, Gibson had not quite groveled enough. He issued another apology, this time specifically addressing what he said, explaining that he doesn't now and never has believed those things, and offered to meet with Jewish leaders to start the healing process.

His friends--Jewish, Christian, and other--came to his defense. Not about what he said, which is, of course, not defendable, but they spoke to his character, and how he doesn't believe what he said that night.

I don't know what is really in Gibson's heart. But if Nick Nolte and Roman Polanski deserve second chances, then so does Gibson.